Chris Henrick Cartography, San Francisco, CA
Web Developer & Cartographer
June, 2010 - Present
- I have five years of consulting experience for a diverse range of clients in the fields of web development, print cartography, and geospatial data analysis.
- My work demonstrates expertise in creating custom web applications, data wrangling, spatial analysis with open-source GIS software, and producing clean, legible, and stylistically appropriate cartographic and map related products for both print and the web.
- Current and former clients include Rebecca Solnit, Stamen Design, Radish Lab, Pratt’s Spatial Analysis and Visualization Initiative, The Skyscraper Museum, The Oakland Museum of California, and Avalon Travel Publishing.
Stamen Design, San Francisco, CA
March, 2016 - December, 2016
One part data wrangler, one part cartographer, and several parts web developer for Stamen Design.
Prototyped and built highly customized web applications with technologies such as AWS, Heroku, React, Redux, Leaflet, CARTO, and D3.
Assisted with designing web map tiles / basemaps using data from OpenStreetMap and technologies such as PostGIS, CartoCSS, and Mapnik.
Radish Lab, Brooklyn, NY
May, 2015 - April, 2016
Assisted Radish Lab, a web and graphic design studio, with creating interactive data-visualizations, web-mapping, and professionally designed web sites for non-profits and cultural instutitions such as MAS.
Duties included agile front-end web-development using modern web technologies such as Sass, jQuery, NodeJS, D3JS, Wordpress, CARTO, Leaflet, and Git / Github.
CARTO, New York, NY
Geospatial Developer Intern
March, 2014 - October, 2014
- Assisted CARTO with improving their web-based geospatial visualization platform.
- Documented and resolved software related issues on GitHub.
- Assisted in improving CARTO's internal geocoder using PostgreSQL, PgSQL, PostGIS and open administrative geospatial data.
- Crafted video tutorials for and held in person workshops on educating users about the CartoDB platform.
- Contributed to technical documentation of the CartoDB platform.
Avalon Travel Publishing, Berkeley, CA
February, 2012 - May, 2013
- Assisted Avalon Travel Publishing's in-house Cartography Department with creating new maps and updating existing maps for printed and ebook travel guide series which include titles such as Moon Handbooks, Rick Steve's, and Let's Go.
- Duties included mining GIS data, processing data in QGIS, and cartographically rendering data in Adobe Illustrator with MAPublisher.
- Designed and implemented a workflow for incorporating GIS data into map production through the use of MAPublisher, QGIS, and other open-source tools.
- Assisted in designing and implementing a database schema to store geocoded Point of Interest data.
- Other responsibilites included editing and drawing up to 30 new maps per book that conformed to Avalon’s brand, cartographic style, and layout standards; converting legacy Macromedia Freehand files to an updated Adobe Illustrator CS5 file format standard; and maintaining a detailed organization of up to 80 edited maps per book, depending on geographic scope.
GreenInfo Network, San Francisco, CA
GIS Specialist / Cartographer Intern
Summer, 2010 and Spring, 2011
- Assisted GreenInfo with its mission of providing quality and affordable GIS analysis
and cartographic services to public interest groups and governmental organizations within California and the U.S.
- Utilized Arc Map 9.x / 10.x to assist in the production of confidential priority acquisition area series maps for
Save the Redwoods League.
- Created 3 offset CMYK print maps for Sustainable Conservation's Partners in Restoration Program.
- Updated and edited an atlas for Protect Wild California's conservation easements and land acquisitions.
- Executed a historical habitat suitability analysis of the Black-Backed Woodpecker for the John Muir Foundation
utilizing model builder with USGS Landfire, Land Cover, and public lands data.
- Contributed outreach to various California land trusts for the California Protected Areas Database (CPAD).
Steve Spindler Cartography, Philadelphia, PA
- Aided an professional cartographer in creating production print maps for the Pennsylvania cross-state bicycle touring route S.
- Corresponded with PA bicycling advocacy leaders on input to mapping the bicycling route.
- Utilized Google Maps, Earth, and Docs to perform research and KML point data acquisition relating to bicycle touring.
The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, Philadelphia, PA
- Assisted the Office of Non-Motorized Transportation Planning in implementing projects related to transit,
pedestrian, and bicycle planning in the greater metropolitan Philadelphia area.
- Participated in tasks such as survey field-work, road safety audits, data scrubbing and aggregation,
bicycle route mapping, and power point presentations.
Maptime NYC, New York, NY
January, 2014 - June, 2016
- Assisted with organizing and hosting the Maptime New York City chapter Meetup Group.
- Maptime's goal is for volunteers to create a safe space for non-experts to learn about GIS, cartography and web-mapping.
ASIAN Inc., San Francisco, CA
November, 2009 - July, 2010
GIS Specialist Volunteer
- Performed spatial data analysis and visualization to support ASIAN Inc's goals of improving economic and
housing opportunities for low income Asian Americans in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Consulted with the GreenInfo Network on best practices for GIS analysis and
data visualization of census and in-house demographic data.
Parsons, The New School For Design, New York, NY
- Graduate degree in Master of Fine Art in Design and Technology.
- Areas of focus included interactive web-mapping, data-visualization, web development with Node JS, User Experience design, Game Design, Interactive Narrative, open-source GIS, and using design and technology to strengthen affordable housing advocacy.
- Thesis project: Am I Rent Stabilized?, an interactive web-app about rent-stabilization in New York City.
- GPA 3.91
U.C. Berkeley Extension, San Francisco, CA
- Graphic Design Certificate Program
- Areas of concentration include 2-D design, publication design, and typography.
Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography and Urban Studies.
- Sr./Jr. GPA 3.77, graduated Magna Cum Laude.
- Member of Gamma Theta Upsilon, National Honors Society for Geography.
- Recipient of the Henry N. Michael Prize in Geography and Urban Studies.
University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- Concentration in Fine Art: Print Making and Drawing
- GPA 3.49
Version control via Git and Github
Front end web development with React, Redux, Sass, and Webpack
- Server side web development with Node JS & the Express Framework
Cloud Computing via Heroku, Digital Ocean, AWS
Interactive maps and cartography with Leaflet, Mapnik, and CartoCSS
Data visualization via D3JS
- Database management with PostgreSQL.
Geospatial Information Systems using QGIS, PostGIS, GDAL, ESRI ArcGIS
- Adobe Software: Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- MAPublisher (GIS plug-in for Adobe Illustrator)